Cat – Cow pose is considered the beginners yoga pose. This pose stretch the lower spine, hips, back and core muscles. This also open the chest and lungs allowing for easier breathing. Practicing this pose may improve posture and promote a healthy spine. This pose massages the spine. Moving the spine this way creates space in between each and every vertebra, regenerating the bone marrow and strengthen the back muscles and improves the flexibility of the spine. The pose is specially recommended to those spending long periods of time standing up, allows the spine to take a break from against gravity.
· Come onto your hands and knees. Make sure your knees are under your hips and your wrists under your shoulders. Begin in a neutral spine position, with your back flat and your abs engaged.
· As you inhale, let your belly soften, arch your back, and lift your head and tailbone. This part of the stretch is called Cow. With an exhale, round your spine up to the ceiling, pulling your abs toward your spine, and simultaneously tuck your tailbone and chin in. This part is known as Cat.
· Continue flowing back and forth from Cat to Cow, breathing deeply so as not to rush each movement. Repeat for a minute or so. This is very good fundamental practice before trekking.
Benefits of Cat-Cow:
- Improves posture and balance
- Strengthens and stretches the spine and neck
- Stretches the hips, abdomen and back
- Increases coordination
- Massages and stimulates organs in the belly, like the kidneys and adrenal glands
- Creates emotional balance
- Relieves stress and calms the mind
Book your Yoga Retreats in Rishikesh India
Please follow and like us: