IF YOU CAN FOCUS YOUR EYES, YOU CAN FOCUS YOUR MIND
Trataka is the most powerful Meditation technique used in yoga practices to boosts concentration, memory and promotes strong, healthy eyes. This is one of the six purification techniques, called shatkryiyas in Hatha yoga.
- Effortless Gazing or focusing at flame
- Intensive focusing at the tip of the wick of the
- De- focusing
Effortless Gazing or focusing at flame
- Gently open your eyes with a few blinks and look at the floor. do not look at the flame directly.
- Slowly shift your vision to the base of the candle stand, then move to top of the stand, then to the candle then slowly look at flame of the candle. now start gazing at the whole flame without any effort .do not blink our eyes .there may be a few irritating sensations but use your will power and gaze in a relaxed way if tears appear, let the tears wash out the impurities from the eyes. Learn to ignore the irritation and watering from the eyes.
- Gaze at the flame about 30 second
- Slowly close your eyes, rub your palms against each other for a few seconds, form a cup of your palms and cover your eyes
- Do palming-press the palm on the bony margin around the eyes and release.
- After completing five rounds, gently drop your hands down.
- Feel the cool sensation around the eyeballs. Relax for a few seconds. Do not open your eyes immediately.
Intensive focusing at the tip of the wick of the flame (dharana)
- Gently open your eyes with a few blinks and look at the floor. Do not look at the flame directly.
- Slowly shift your vision to the base of the candle stand, then move to top of the stand, then to the candle and then slowly look at the flame of the candle. Now start gazing at the whole flame without any effort.
- Slowly gaze at the tip of the wick of the candle, the small black cord. Focus your attention at one point. This is the practice of focusing and concentration .keep on gazing, use your will power. let the tears comes out and try not to blink your eyes. By practice the gaze becomes steady, making the mind one pointed.
- Gaze at the flame for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly close your eyes, rub your palms against each other for a few seconds then form a cup of your palms and cover your eyeballs.
- Give constant pressure palming. Press constantly around the eyeballs with your palms and inhale deeply and exhale completely. Continue four more rounds by counting mentally do not touch the eyeballs with your palms directly. Relax your eye muscles completely.
- After completing five rounds, gently drop your hands down. Feel the cool sensation around the eyeballs. Relax for a few seconds. Do not open your eyes immediately.
- Gently open your eyes with a few blinks and look at the flame directly.
- Slowly shift your vision to the base of the vision to the base of the candle stand then move to the top of the stand, then to the candle and then slowly look at the flame of the candle, first fix your attention at the
flame, then gradually widen your vision.slowly de-fix your attention at flame ,with expansive awareness, collect all the details of the flame such as color of the flame shape of the flame, and aura around the flame.
Then observe the aura expanding more and more and she the small light particles around the flame. Recognize the subtle changes achieved by de-focusing.
- After one mint of de-focusing, gaze or focus on the flame again. Slowly close your eyes and retain the image in your mind.visualize the flame between your eyebrows and collect all the details with your eyes closed.when the image disappears go for palming.
- This time we combine palming with breathing and bhramari first apply constant pressure around your eyes, then inhale and chant bhramari Mm………;as you exhale feel the vibrations of bhramari throughout the body; repeat the same.feel the sound resonance in the entire head region, specially round the eyes region.
- Fell the silence and relax for a while after sufficient relaxation gently droop your hands down. Sit quiet for some time and feel the deep comforting effect of the practice.be aware of the changes taking place inside you recognize that mind has become completely calm, your concentration, will-power and sharpness of eyesight have improved.
- Gently brings your hands behind the back .catch hold of the right wrist with your left palm ,make loose fist with the right hand and feel the pulse of the right hand.
- As you exhale, gently bend down towards the floor and surrender to the all mighty.
- Come back as you inhale
- Gently give a feathery massage around the eye muscles with three fingers (index, middle and ring fingers)
Benefits of Jyoti Trataka:
- It makes the eyes clear, bright and radiant.
- It cleanses the tear glands and purifies the optical system.
- Trataka keeps eyes healthy, special important in diabetes mellitus.
- It balance the nervous system relieving nervous tension, anxiety, depression and insomnia.
- It improves the concentration and will power improve the memory. it is an excellent preparation For meditation.
- Epileptic should avoid gazing of flickering candle flames. They can, however, choose a totally steady object to gaze on.
- Continuously gaze at the flame, No blinking or winking; smooth or effortless gazing
- Use your will power and ignore watering or irritation in the eyes gradually increase the duration of gazing up to 60 seconds over a few weeks of practice.
Please follow and like us: